THA Solutions Group – Request for Information
February 22, 2018
About THA Solutions Group
THA Solutions Group (THASG) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tennessee Hospital Association (THA) and is a customer-driven organization that is a valued and primary resource for all THA members. By providing relevant, cost effective, quality products and services in a way that supports THA priorities, the organization brings value to the THA membership.
THA Solutions Group endorses a variety of management and professional programs, which are offered on a fee-for-service basis to THA members. These programs include solutions that specialize in the following areas:
· Administration and Operations
· Facility/Project Management
· Financial Services
· Human Resources
THASG has contracted with Pearson Health Tech Insights, LLC (PHTI) to identify vendors that have high quality products or services that meet the THA Solutions Group criteria. THASG wishes to establish a working relationship with a company that helps hospitals align the clinical and financial aspects of patient care, with a special focus on inpatient care. Hospitals must monitor utilization of their resources to prevent over-utilization, under-utilization, and inefficient scheduling. Identifying and effectively managing sources of clinical variation is a high priority.
Effective utilization management involves two things:
· Having the appropriate information available at the time care decisions are made. In order to be useful, data must be appropriately analyzed and readily accessible.
· Effectively communicating among the various internal hospital departments and external organizations involved in the caregiving process.
The THASG Data Services Committee recently met to define the specific focus for a potential vendor relationship and is most interested in a product that address one or more of the following areas:
· Medical necessity authorization/denials
• Pre-admission criteria
• Concurrent criteria
· Clinical variation
· Care coordination among departments/scheduling
• Work flow
• Throughput analyses
• Resource management
• Gaps in care
All THASG vendor partners must meet the following conditions:
1. Reasonable approach to Return on Investment (ROI) evaluations – PHTI will analyze a company’s ROI logic and math calculations to assure that they are conservative and realistic.
2. Organizational financial and product operational stability – Ideally, THASG and its vendor partners work together for several years. As a result, PHTI will evaluate a company’s and the product’s likelihood of long term stability including its existing client base and, to the extent appropriate under the vendor’s disclosure policies, financial stability.
3. Stage – Related to item #2 above, THASG will give preference to established companies and products with a reasonably well-established client base.
4. Sales strategy – THASG provides strong support and visibility opportunities for its vendor partners. It has learned that successful partnerships require a vendor’s in-state presence. Many vendors employ sales executives with responsibility for and in-state representation for multiple states (including Tennessee), and this has been a successful strategy. Partnerships without a “boots on the ground” vendor presence in Tennessee are not likely to prosper.
5. Agreement with THASG’s terms of engagement - The initial contracting period is 3 years. THASG develops a customized visibility program for each of its vendors. Typically, this includes:
· Personal introductions to potential clients
· Ongoing follow-up
· Personalized statewide marketing plan
· Complimentary corporate membership in THA
· Visibility in various educational settings
· A $1,000 credit toward a sponsorship opportunity at a THA event
· Preferred speaking status for THA educational events
In exchange for these services, the vendor will:
· Pay THASG $2,500 per year for support services
· Pay THASG a percentage (to be negotiated) of sales – The vendor must guarantee a minimum of $15,000 per year to THASG in addition to the $2,500 amount for support services.
Specific Product Evaluation Criteria
Beyond the general requirements listed above, the THASG Data Services Committee set the following as its top priorities in considering which vendor to endorse:
· Ease of use, including
• User friendliness
• Customer service
• Adequacy of training
• Ease of implementation within existing workflows
• Ease of implementation and integration with the hospital’s IT structure
· Cost-effectiveness, including
• Overall total cost
• Demonstrated ROI
• Financial accessibility by hospitals of various sizes
These factors will weigh heavily in the vendor selection process.
· Responses are requested as soon as possible, but no later than Friday, March 9
· March – Selected vendors will be contacted to collect additional information
· April – RFP distributed to selected vendors
· May – Demonstration webinars with the THASG Data Services Committee with vendor finalists
· June – Contract discussions with finalist(s)
· July – Recommendation to THASG board for approval
How to Respond
Companies that wish to be considered as potential THASG vendor partners should contact via email Glenn Pearson, Principal at Pearson Health Tech Insights, LLC: firstname.lastname@example.org – 770/861-6941 and include the following:
· Company name, contact information and website
· Brief answers to items #2, #3 and #4 under “General Criteria” above and a statement that, pending further negotiation with THASG, it agrees with the general terms of engagement as described in #5 above. Lengthy responses are not requested or desired.
Please put in the subject line: “RESPONSE TO THA SOLUTIONS GROUP RFI.”
PHTI will screen potential vendor partners for fit and will contact companies that potentially match the THASG profile to discuss their ROI approach (item #1 under “General Criteria” above) in detail. PHTI will present a slate of potential vendor partners to THASG for the Data Services Committee’s consideration.
Questions about this process may be directed to Glenn Pearson via the email or phone contact information listed above.